2.9.10

Selvedge

First of all, I don't sew. I don't knit. I don't have a sewing machine. I don't own a single spool of thread, actually. But I do love fabric. I work in it, I live in it, I admire it everywhere I go. This is why I was so excited to discover a magazine devoted to the fabric arts: not just apparel, but a full-on examination of where some of the world's best-loved fabrics are sourced from, how they are woven and worn, their patchwork histories and even their hidden social politics. The magazine is a British import called Selvedge, which by definition is "a decorative fringe" or "the edge of a fabric that has been woven to prevent fraying." I like the duality of the word, implying both function and style. That's what the magazine is all about, in fact. It is heavily driven by beautiful, editorial imagery (below) and a strong design sense, backed by well-researched essays about all manner of fabrics and their artistic applications, from boiled-wool cushions in modern interiors to a history of Hollywood costumery. Visit their website to learn more. The magazine is a bit tricky to come by in North America, but it's out there. Worth sourcing, for sure.




No comments:

Post a Comment