27.3.10

All About Yves

While I had never intended to, I seem to be gathering quite a collection of books about Yves Saint Laurent, one of the world's most prolific and most respected French fashion designers. I'm not sure what it is about Yves' style that I gravitate to, but he is really the only French designer I find myself in tune with. Perhaps it's his own personal comport that I'm allured by: a quiet reserve, a singular focus, a deep craving for meditative isolation and a tendency towards depression.

With his business and romantic partner of 30 years, Pierre Bergé, Saint Laurent built an empirical landscape of lavish homes and gardens, spanning continents. His private collection of priceless art work and antiques is nearly unrivaled in the fashion world and his taste in interior design was immaculate.

Three fascinating books about the universe of Yves Saint Laurent are set to become treasured tomes in my book collection. Two of them are already on my coffee table: "The Private World of Yves Saint Laurent and Pierre Bergé" (shown at center) is an enormous and lush book detailing their private residences and documenting their interior designs; "The Yves Saint Laurent and Pierre Bergé Collection: Sale of the Century" is a hardcover edition of the prized and highly-sought-after auction catalog that was issued to prospective buyers at the sale of Saint-Laurent's antiques and art works after his death. It is an amazing and informative look at the incredible pieces once owned by the fashion mogul.

Soon to be released is a large retrospective of various Yves Saint-Laurent fashion collections, titled simply "Yves Saint Laurent." It's on my list!

No comments:

Post a Comment