28.8.14

The RRL Ranch in Colorado

Anyone who knows me well, knows that I love a great cabin in the wilderness. Maybe it's my Canadian lineage, but there is something so comforting to me about geographical isolation: being surrounded by nature and its unbridled beauty, by things that are made by hand and rustic textures that captivate the eye. I could do very well with only the barest essentials. I could live for a few weeks with just a Coleman stove, a tin pot, an enamel mug and plenty of simple ingredients, with a few blankets and a cot. But, if given the choice, I'd rather have the best of both worlds: the best of nature and the best of home comforts. Plumbing, a comfortable bed with luxurious linens and a gas range sound pretty good to me. Nothing epitomizes this pairing of rugged American geography and pared-down luxury more than Ralph Lauren's Colorado ranch, known as the Double RL Ranch. (The two R's stand for Ralph and Ricky, his wife.) With over 16,000 acres of unspoiled landscape in the San Juan mountains of Colorado, it is as remote as one can get. And yet, the series of cabins and small farm houses on the property are all outfitted beautifully, with nods to Native-American heritage and Old-World Americana. Below are several photos of this iconic place...Settle in and stay awhile.





No comments:

Post a Comment